Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mrs. Anderson's 1st Grade - 1st Visit

Mrs. Anderson’s kids are writing already when I arrive.  They, too, have folders up, like I had seen in Mrs. Syverson’s room, helping to provide them with privacy and independent work space.  Mrs. Anderson is quietly conferencing with individual students.   What strikes me again today about Mrs. Anderson, is how she absolutely sparkles when she interacts with students.   The look on her face as she visits with students consistently says, “I care about you and I believe in you. I see and expect the very best of you.”  

At one point she reminded them, “Writers, remember you should be working on the story you have decided to publish, not starting something new, today.”  

I turn and ask the writer I am visiting with, “What does it mean to publish your story?” 

She thinks for a brief moment and replies, “That means you’re going to fix it up even more because you think it is really special.”   

“Was it hard to choose?”  I ask.

“A little,” she says, “I like all my stories, but I think this one is my best.”

I leave with a smile.  It is obvious in Mrs. Anderson’s room that as she builds the writing skills of her students, she is also building their self-confidence and independent thinking skills.  

I hope I will have to opportunity to come back to see the published works shared by their proud authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment