Friday, January 7, 2011

Mr. Christopherson's 3rd Grade - 1st visit

It is Friday afternoon, nearing 3:00.  The kids in Mr. Christopherson’s classroom are doing a few different things during their writing workshop time.   A few students are finishing copying a “sloppy copy” of a narrative into a final draft.  Samples of the narratives they'd just completed are posted above.

The students who had finished their final drafts were engaged in some "lighter side" writing today.

When I enter the room there is immediate snickering and giggling. Caden says, “Mrs. Yates, Carter is writing about you!”  Wow!  I think, I wonder what he is writing about me.  Possibly I am somehow part of his personal narrative.  I approach his desk and inquire.  He grins and blushes a bit, pointing in his notebook to a portion that has me being eaten by a five headed monster.  He sheepishly points to the prompt on the board and I smile widely.    

Outside I saw a _____ headed monster eating ____________, and riding on _________.  He had _____ .
I find myself thinking back to the “creative writing” of my early teaching career.  Silly and outrageous prompts meant to spark kids imaginations are not as prevalent in our classrooms anymore.  However, these kids were obviously enjoying this change of pace on a Friday afternoon.  After writing to the prompt the real fun began for them . . . creating an illustration to support the writing.  I’ve posted one above.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment